Tuesday, January 15, 2008

SPIRITUAL PASSION & SUCCESS

SPIRITUAL PASSION & SUCCESS
“What are the most important qualities for a minister to be successful?” When I say minister, I am not only talking about paid ministers, but also volunteer ministers. Great question. I’ll give this question a stab. Obviously, my list will not be complete. But without question, these qualities are essential:

Spiritual Passion - To be successful in ministry, perhaps above all else, a pastor must have an intense spiritual passion. Spiritual passion is not a “given” for anyone in ministry.
Those who remain spiritually fruitful over decades learn to stoke the flames of passion.

Here is what works for me:

1. Developing friendships with non-Christians
2. Staying in God’s Word
3. Living in an attitude of prayer
4. Giving extravagantly
5. Rejoicing and learning from other successful ministries and ministers

A few passages of scripture stoke my passion.


(1.) Philippians 3
 I just like the whole idea that I need God. I don’t want to do it in the flesh, I have done that and it never turns out that good! AND…That God is about GOALS….I want to press on to win the prize!
(2.) Habakkuk 3:2. Lord, I have heard of your fame: I stand in awe of your deeds, O Lord. Renew them in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy. How cool is that! Give me some of that ‘ole time power!
(3.) Parts of Job (like “though he slay me, yet I will trust him”).
 Whatever it takes, whatever He asks, Wherever He leads!
(4.) 2 Corinthians 4:7-9 (this is the one keeping me going right now–”…pressed but not crushed, perplexed but not in despair, persecuted but not abandoned, stuck down but not destroyed.”)
 That will get anyone through the tough times!
(5.) John 6:68 Peter’s words–”where else would I go? Only you have the words of life.”
(6.) Psalm 9:9,10 The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you. I want to bleed for those who Christ bled for….the oppressed: THIS WAS THE HEART OF JESUS…This IS Our Mandate - People: Hungry, Thirsty, Homeless, Poor, Sick and Infirmed, Prisoner, Widow and Orphans (Matt.25:31-46; James 1:27; Mal. 3:5)

“The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are downtrodden, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord." Luke 4:18

(7.) The whole relationship factor: That God created us for relationship…with Him and with each other. I want to love God and I want to love my family and I want to love people, I WANT TO LOVE…YOU! I do that through relationships! Not religion…not programs…not agendas….RELATIONSHIP!

I am naturally bent to spend time thinking and writing and I am one of those weirdo's that love administration….but my passion is people. I love people. This year I want to show that value by demonstrating my love for people relationally. That means a bit more out of the office….and a lot more out on the street and in your home!

I love you guys!

Dan O’Deens

4 comments:

John Cremeans said...

Welcome to the world of blogging Dan. You are off to a great start bro! Your church looks amazing...pretty incredible story in just 10 years...not many like it in the Northeast. I am looking forward to hooking up at PF Changs tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Dan, didn't your really want to say that Tom Cochrane sang Life is a Highway? :)

Love the idea for this blog. Hope it benefits your family.

Tim Wright

dano said...

Hey Tim....thanks for chiming in. Look for the ABS book coming this summer. BMH has partnered with me and it should be coming soon!

dano

dano said...

Hey John,

God is good. All the time. Great to have a brother as COOL as you who loves God, loves to have fun and willing to hang with someone like me. Looking forward to a lot of good idea sharing and iron sharpening iron. Pressin' On!